Deathships: Better than Jay Bennett?
They're from Iowa City. And they are so lushly poppily midwesternly pretty. Less of the twang of the Jayhawks, not midwesterny in that way, but something about their music makes me think of flat fields and falling down barns. Deathships are playing Sunday the 10th at my favorite bar in SF, Rickshaw Stop. I am working the door so if I really love you I might let you in for cheap. They're opening for Jay Bennett, formerly of Wilco, who I partied with one night in San Marcos, TX, while in graduate school.

There was a lot of partying in San Marcos. Thanks to the Triple Crown, our local hangers-on drunkfest bar, I got to see some amazing shit in a venue that maybe held 50 people. Palace, Meat Purveyors, Scott Biram, Dale Watson. Good times.

Nothing against Mr. Bennett, of course, but I'm feeling a little more down with these Deathships at the moment. Maybe the Wilco sound is my past, and the Deathships are the future?

Not that deathships aren't everyone's future.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home