Household Concerns

wherein the mundane is rendered magical.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

all the non-news that's fit to post

Dan went down to Santa Cruz last night to hang out with his friend Bruce, who's visiting from Korea with his wife Susan, so I had Armstead and Phyllis over for delicious taco salad. Dear Elly: When you return from UCLA we, too, will feast upon the delicious taco salad, I promise. I won't forget to call you, like last time.


We also watched Jesus is Magic, which I can tell you is only about 1/4 magic at the most. That Sarah Silverman is freaking adorable, but that doesn't mean her musical skits don't suck. Because they do.


I heard about the abalone diving weekend of camping and Phyllis's extensive pounding of the abalones. It sounded like they had a good time.


Dan's dad is coming on Sunday. That's him at his wedding with Dan's mom. We might have to take this picture out of the second bathroom, or toilet hole as I like to think of it, since it's so tiny and you must use the utility sink to wash your hands. Dang, do I love that toilet hole.

I always manage to make an idiot of myself when I talk to Bob on the phone. Such as yesterday, when I chattered away at him straightoff with "Hi Bob, I had a dream about you two nights ago where I couldn't remember your name so I called you Jim and we talked about the different hand jives your 5th graders were doing at school."

"Handjives, how'd you know about handjives?"

"I dunno, I used to do them?"

"And you couldn't remember my name, eh?"

"But I could when I woke up!" I doth protested. Too much.

Egad.


Last night when Dan was away I couldn't fall asleep so I ended up watching the entire first disc of Into the West, which is mesmerizing and gross, like Deadwood-lite with more morality thrown into the mix, on my laptop in bed. Then I thought I heard a bird chirp when I stopped watching it. I have this terrible paranoia about falling asleep before the sun rises (it was 3:35 a.m.) so I closed the big velvet curtains around the windows, took 3 valerian root capsules, tied a scarf around my face (which I then worried was too tight upon my eyeballs), and tossed and turned for a while. Stupid Dan. He has ruined me for the alone sleeptime. Luckily, I have ruined him for it as well. Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!


And now, the part of the blog for which you quiver with palpation and anticipation:

The Garden Update!!!!


This is the new plot. Dan and I crowbarred and sledgehammered the concrete out of here. Now it's planted with three rows of corn, one row of radishes, and three hills of watermelons. Yum yum.




Framed between bougainvillea and rose petals, the corn begins to come up. Yay!



We've got hecka tomatoes coming on.



And the artichokes are amazing to watch grow.



Unfortunately, the lettuce is starting to bolt. It is always graciously accepted by Karen and Thaddeus's new backyard bunny, though.



And finally, the first head of broccoli of the season!

4 Comments:

At 9:58 AM, Blogger wendy-o williams said...

brian is gone and the only way i can fall asleep is to watch crappy romantic comedies until i pass out from cheesiness. it doesnt happen until around 1am tho and i have to wake up at 6. so im just really really tired, two more months to go. yay.

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Elka said...

Yuck. It is terrible, the sleeping alone. At least you're smarter than I am and are not watching shows where people are being scalped or have to have their leg cut off because they got run over by a wagon and now have maggots in their flesh. Yuckaroo.

 
At 12:10 PM, Blogger wendy-o williams said...

i couldnt do that b/c i am convinced my moms house is haunted and im a chicken shit. i hate an empty bed!

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Elka said...

haunted, eh? I used to get freaked out at bedtime after watching Unsolved Mysteries as a teenager. They had all those ghosty stories!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home