offsetting, biyatch
I just paid the low, low rate of $29.95 to offset my trip to Wisconsin next week and my trip to Norway next month.

The money goes to fund future renewable energy projects.
Did you know that my two trips produce almost 6000 pounds of CO2?
Each gallon of gas burned by our little cars produces 22 pounds of CO2.
That means that when Dan and I went to Bolinas yesterday (before first going to Fairfield accidentally, whoops!) we produced about 150 pounds of CO2, mostly because we weren't paying attention and went an hour out of our way, then ran into traffic. Damn San Franciscans! Like cockroaches in the hippie hovels (us included).
Because of Dan's and my combined terrible lack of a sense of freeway direction (I rock in the woods), we've also offset the car's emissions through cooldriver.org.

The climate change shit is all over. The news is crawling with it, much like Bolinas is crawling with SF a-holes in Mercedes station wagons.
It begins to freak me out.
More and more often it is hard for me to look at an egret or a seagull and not see the mercury buildup in its muscles, thanks to the pollution we're pouring into the ocean and marshland. I will drive myself crazy with these thoughts.
New favorite ecosystem? Oceans, where they meet the beaches. Fragile and beautiful and so foreign thanks to my midwestern years. I love them. I love the way I feel woozy if I look at the sand eroding from my feet as the wave pulls away from the shore, ankle deep in water. I love the pull of the water, how it works its movement into your body. The surfers yesterday in sleek black wetsuits like human seals, I am so envious of them.
I just read a local's report of a great white appearing next to surfers in Bolinas last month. Perhaps not so envious. Okay, still envious.

Maybe this winter when Dan and I go to Costa Rica/Yucatan/Belize we can learn to surf. Yes.
To do: Stop seeing nature as full of illness, even if it is. Start loving it unconditionally.
yours in hippie solidarity,
elka

7 Comments:
Well, well. It's about fucking time. Hey,when you're in Wisco let me know, I'll ride the bike down & visit. Yours in eternal Aquarian bliss, R.
so how do they offset their own carbon from the plastic doodads and bumpers tickers shipped from china and made of petroleum? im just axin.
can't we just get a whole slew of that open ocean gummybear-life-form-stuff and have it ship all our carbon to the depths?
Rick, I will be in Ashland next Wednesday if you'd like to schedule a bicoastal summit at the Black Cat.
Grumps, I didn't get a plastic doodad, only a bumper sticker. Did you check out the gDiapers? There was an interesting article in NYTimes Sunday about them (not marketing themselves specifically as green).
And BAM, I have no idea of what it is you talk of but it sounds about as feasible as storing it in gigantic underground tanks.
i saw the article BAM speaks of but can not find it this early in the morning. it was pretty interesting tho.
i have seen the gdiapers but theyre pretty expensive, $52 for 120? for a newborn that is what, ten days of diapers? plus the cost of shipping. they would be nice for traveling but not cost effective for everyday use. maybe if i have to do daycare i will have to use those, as im sure daycares do not cater to cloth setups. but very nice, i am sure, for NYC residents. makes a lot of sense for ny.
i would never suggest that you would fall prey to the cool doodads, i was just axin how they justify that.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20060722/sc_space/oceangummybearsfightglobalwarming
these are those that bam speaks of.
Let's bi, call me & we will get together at the Cat. Lunch, then dinner? Or maybe Johnsonville brats on the grill? We're all up for it.
Post a Comment
<< Home