Household Concerns

wherein the mundane is rendered magical.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Damn your cheap housing, Twin Cities of Wonder

Yeah, like this.



Um, yep. 1 b.r. in a brownstone with wood floors and a clawfoot tub that takes dogs and heat and wireless included for $575/month.

How do you argue with that? Damn.

Now, to find a job. Unfortch, the mass communications program at the U of M has little to nothing to do with environmental/science writing. What kind of bullshit is that?

Meanwhile, my loyalties are torn between Mpls and cheap living and Oakland and Michael Pollan as the head of the environmental journalism grad program.


Damn. I interviewed Michael Pollan on Tuesday for a Kitchen Sink article I'm writing on hunting. If you haven't read his book The Omnivore's Dilemma yet, go read it! It is amazing! You will discover thrilling passages, like what corn does to the marbling of beef and where the term "cornhole" originated. Among many other more socially/environmentally relevant dealios.

Went to the Rogue Wave show on Saturday night. Ran into Paul and Amanda and Jeff T. The show was amazing. Best feel-good show of the year. The show was thrown to raise money to help Pat, Rogue Wave's drummer, find a kidney donor. If you haven't donated yet, go here.

Pat's hella nice. When I first moved back to Oakland we worked on a janky construction job together. I painted Pat did the windows. He really needs to get off dialysis. Go give this big-haired brother a little more hope.



A few things I don't have to feel sensitive about enjoying now that Dan has hung me out to dry:

old Guy Clark albums
tom ka gai whenever I fuckin feel like it
mushrooms
Mpls
country/folk music
organic gardening
science/environmental writing
my friends

A few things I'm going to do now that Dan has hung me out to dry:

take more time taking care of myself, instead of him
join a rock climbing gym
more girl time
horseback riding lessons

3 Comments:

At 6:12 PM, Blogger wendy-o williams said...

dude, you neglected mushrooms b/c of that twit? sadness.

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger xtinehlee said...

hey both lists look awesome--! definitely good to be doing more of ALL THAT!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Ian Karl said...

umm, speaking of grammar and punctuation..."I painted Pat did windows". I have no idea what that sentence means. What color did you paint him?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home