Transporting Methods
Not to beat a dead horse, but I just watched an awesome sweet movie about climate change over at www.renewus.org.
It is a nice change from the doom-and-gloom reportage that has been freaking me out lately. Watch it. It's funny and cute. Then buy some green tags to offset your cabon output. It's not expensive--between 4 to 8 dollars a month to offset household carbon production. You can choose between clean power sources of farmcow-poop-produced methane gas or windmill power.

I picked the cow poop. Because I like cow poop. But whatever source you choose, just do it. It'll make you feel all special inside.
I finally mapped out how far I bike everyday to work and back and it's a little over six miles if I go straight to and from the lab. This is my Major Dork Bike:

Sometimes I get around with the d-o-g and her really lame backpack.

I like to make her carry my shit. It makes her feel all purposeful. Dan thinks I'm deluding myself, but I disagree. Oz loves the backpack.
At times I've gotten around by horseback, although that is mostly recreational...

And we've also gone down rivers in these sweet machines

Mostly I'm really digging the bike right now, though. I love my Lone Peak grocery bag. It fits on the back of my bike and it is super rad. I hate having bags on when I'm biking. It hurts my back and makes me even sweatier. This little beauty

makes my life so much easier. I recently asked D, "Isn't my bike bag SO RAD??" He said "I think you're using the wrong adjective. Perhaps practical is a better word for it."
Queen dork of the bicycling road.
I've been very excited to listen to BBC News and Nature Podcasts while biking around.
Again,

Queen Dork

5 Comments:
That movie was overproduced utopian propaganda. Don't get me wrong, mine eyes welled up with hopeful tears, but damn.
I loves me the utopian propaganda, i do i do....
My tv boyfriend, Ceasar Milan (aka the dog whisperer), is a big advocate of the doggie backpack -- for exactly the reasons you say: dogs like to work. Plus it looks cute.
the dog backpack is definitely cool. she carries around her little plastic poop trash bags and her leash.
but i do recall some times where you made her suffer like the friend at the club who's the only one with a bag...
'can i put my wallet in there? and my chapstick? and my vitamin water? and my beach towel? and my sunglasses?'
i miss oz dog. tell her i said 'hi.'
also, i think i will also choose poop.
perhaps there could be an ultimately unsuccessful ad campaign for carbon credits/green tags that would simply state "choose poop" in a similar fashion to the "choose life" bumperstickers.
I would rather choose poop than life. I suppose that sums it up for the pro-lifer conservatives--those crazy liberals would rather choose poop than life.
so true.
in other news, I do totally abuse the doggy backpack. but come on, how much does oz really have to put in there? it's a shame to waste all that room.
Post a Comment
<< Home